NATURE OF WORK:
This is a responsible safety and security position reporting to the Director of Public Safety, involving considerable independent judgment.
The Department of Public Safety is an accredited police agency, accredited by the Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police, which exemplifies the Community Oriented Police Model, seeking foremost to prevent crime through a broad spectrum of interactions and programs within our Duquesne University community. In addition to Duquesne University police officers possessing full powers of arrest and criminal prosecution, Duquesne University provides an alternative justice program through the Office of Student Conduct or the Title IX Office. This is an armed, Act 501 private police agency rendering community service and law enforcement for our students, faculty, staff, guests, and visitors. Being an important part of a Catholic community, our officers are required to act legally, honestly, morally and ethically at all times.
Individual must be available to work eight-hour shifts on either night shift, afternoon shift, or daylight shift and be available for recall to duty during emergencies, to attend court proceedings, or as otherwise necessary.
Police Officer | Duquesne University
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Preserves the peace and resolves any conflicts within the University area.
- Conducts vehicular and foot patrols of University property and buildings.
- Takes all necessary and/or appropriate measures to reduce the opportunity for criminal activity.
- Responds promptly and professionally to calls for service.
- Engages in activities that foster positive relations in day to day interactions with University community.
- Receives and responds to various emergency calls (medical emergencies, fires, alarms, accidents, criminal acts, etc.) and determines proper response procedures providing care as a first responder in medical emergencies and mental health crisis.
- Conducts preliminary investigations, submits necessary reports via the Automated Records Management System (ARMS), reacts to criminal activity and makes arrests as appropriate by enforcing all applicable state and local laws.
- Attends court hearings as necessary.
Facilitates the movement of vehicular traffic on University property and enforces traffic and parking violations.
- Maintains and increases proficiency in police and interpersonal skills by attending mandated training.
- Performs related duties as assigned.